Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Arkansas: The Natural State.

Arkansas was given a bit of a ribbing by the people I'd spoken to in Tennessee; I remember in particular Joel and Michael laughing when I said I was going to Little Rock. Their response? "What for?"

What for indeed? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'd never been this deep into the middle of the country (that I can recall - my parents may have taken me on one of our overseas holidays when I was little, but if they did, I don't remember) and I wanted to see what it was all about. Being a country girl, I figured I would love The Natural State. After hearing quite a few disparaging comments about Little Rock, AR, I was concerned I'd made a bad decision. But, determined to find out for myself, I hopped on the I-40 W, and did a rather lovely drive actually, for two hours through farming land from Memphis to Little Rock.

Little Rock is the city of museums. I kid you not when I say that you cannot walk a couple of blocks without seeing another museum. My first museum was the Old State House Museum - a lovely grand old building built pre-civil war with beautiful lush green gardens and a spectacular water fountain out front. They had several exhibitions showing, and I settled in happily for what I expected to be a few hours of losing myself in history. The first exhibition was on growing up pre-technology, when children actually sat at dinner tables and talked to their parents and did their homework and played outside with friends. It was a combination of recreated 1950s classrooms/living rooms etc and documentary-style video snippets on various aspects of the culture of Arkansas pre-technology (so really, pre 1980s, but as far back as the 1820s). Things like, the role the church played in family life. The importance of teachers, and how they were also a big part of 'bringing up' the local children. It was a simpler time in terms of your choices were limited, so you made the best of what you had available, and you really didn't know any better so you were content with what you had. At least, this is the message I got loud and clear from those interviewed in the doco's. By the time I'd finished this exhibition, I was feeling quite warm and fuzzy and nostalgic for an era I wasn't even born in. I headed upstairs to see the exhibition of Arkansas women's antique dresses I had been looking forward to - I do love vintage fashion. As soon as I walked into the room, I felt terrified. There was this cold dark presence pushing down on me, like I could feel someone watching me around the corner of the displays; someone full of ill intent. My heart filled with panic and instead of ignoring my rather good instincts, I walked backwards as quickly and calmly as I could, until I hit the threshold of the room and spun on my heel and fled virtually straight into the couple who had been going through the exhibits alongside me. I must've looked a bit odd, because I got a bit of a quizzical face from the woman, but at that point my heart was beating so fast I couldn't have cared less.

I don't ordinarily mind encounters with ghosts, primarily I suppose because I'm usually forewarned and therefore prepared to receive their presence. But I wasn't warned at all, and this spirit was angry, and vengeful. For those who don't believe in ghosts, or who aren't sensitive to them, you'll not understand that terror, and I'm happy for you to live without it. For those who have had this kind of encounter, you'll know what I mean when I say I couldn't have spent another minute in that room. The feeling of malice and ill intent was far too strong to ignore. Once I'd put enough distance between me and Mr Angry Ghost, I went to the front desk and asked "has anyone died in this building?" and without knowing which room I referred to, he said "oh yes, someone was stabbed to death in that top left room". OH GOOD! And you sent a young girl by herself up there with no warning! Thanks mister! Bloody hell. I left muttering to myself, feeling much better to be out in the fresh air and full sun again.

My next museum was the Historic Arkansas Museum, and it was an interesting spin through history. Once I'd had my fill here, I took a bit of a brisk walk around downtown, and eventually headed to my hotel to get ready for dinner with Joe David and his wife. Joe David Rice works for Arkansas Tourism, and we 'met' via email when I was enquiring about things to do and where to stay. They took me out to dinner that night, and it was delightful, with Joe David choosing great restaurants and the two of them being wonderful company. After around four hours, we eventually parted, and I gave them their gift of TimTams. I got a text the next day saying "TimTams are great!" Another fan acquired.

Just before leaving Little Rock the next morning, I headed over to the Farmer's Markets to buy some fresh fruit & vege for snacking. The markets didn't disappoint, and I ended up with a punnet of strawberries picked that morning! I also ended up with some very sweet, crisp sugar snap peas. Munching happily on my bounty, I did some final exploring in the surrounding area, before heading South-West to Hot Springs.

Hot Springs is worth its own blog, so I'll leave it there. If you'd like to see some photos from Little Rock, click here.

Chat soon,
M x

2 comments: