Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A weekend in Paris

Wow I have been a slack tart.  So we went to Paris end of May (whoops, it's October..) and had an absolutely delightful three day getaway together.  I booked a bed & breakfast in Bastille, and every morning at 8am we were treated to a gorgeous picnic basket full of freshly baked bread, croissants, jam, butter (OH HOW I HAVE MISSED THEE), yoghurt and fruit, ham, boiled eggs and cheese. What a fantastic way to start the day.

It was a lot colder in Paris than I had anticipated - so take note dear reader: if you wish to visit Paris in May you'll need something a lot warmer than a cotton skirt and linen jacket.  Or, you could just do what we did, and go shopping.  Gloves, scarf and trench coat later, and I wasn't shivering and shaking uncontrollably and could actually appreciate the beauty of the city.

Day one, we thought we'd walk down to Notre Dame and view the cathedral in all her splendour; I had read about her and also wanted to visit the catacombs and see the historical artefacts on display.  We quickly discovered that 10am is far too late to start heading to the cathedral, as the lines were wrapped around the whole building and then across one of the bridges.  I'm sure most of you who know me know this: I don't do queues. Unless it's Disneyland in which case bring on the hour long line to the Indian Jones ride!  So we circled around the cathedral and gardens, taking photos, absorbing the atmosphere, and then traversed one of the quaint stone bridges to the other side of the river again, and walked for hours along the riverbank, quietly holding hands and just simply enjoying the atmosphere.

One of the many things I love about A is that he's about as interested in art museums/galleries as I am, so we skipped that option and took to roaming the narrow cobblestone streets, poking our noses into little shops and getting a feel for the city outside of the tourist hotspots.  We did of course go and see the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe and many other items on the usual 'must do' list of Paris, but the moments I remember most fondly are the simple ones; the incredibly stylish Parisian woman walking past with her tiny little dog (also stylishly dressed); the girl on the bike lazily cycling past with a baguette under her arm (for real); and countless other "you're not in Kansas anymore" moments.

From the whole three days in Paris, the one thing I remember most fondly is - surprise - the food.  I had done some solid research before we left, and booked us into two highly recommended restaurants close to our hotel. They were exceptional.  One was a degustation-only menu that I will remember to the day I die I'm sure, it was that good; and the other was an intimate dining experience where your Chef is also your waiter and he is incredibly passionate about his business which of course leads to an excellent dining experience.  We ate our way around Paris, basing our daytime meals on mother's recommendations, and for the most part, she was spot-on.  We did stop off at Angelina for their infamous hot chocolate and dessert - it was a disappointment of epic proportions.  The hot chocolate had that weird not-quite-chocolate taste and the dessert was mostly whipped cream, but I suppose the thing that made us gasp the most was the price tag.  €30-something for a coffee, a hot chocolate, a water and this tiny dessert.  GOOD LORD.

Paris is an interesting city.  I believe we barely scratched the surface of what makes her tick, but I think we did get a good taste (literally and metaphorically) of her essence.  If opportunity arises in the future for us to go back and spend some more time in Paris, or broader France - I wouldn't hesitate to say yes.

Blessed Be
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment