Sunday, June 10, 2012

Back in the USA!

I can't quite find the words to describe just how odd it is being back in Vista, but no longer living here. Everything is pretty much the same - even my favourite breakfast cafe, Curbside, still has my favourite waitress, and the exact same menu it had two years ago.

Ma'ayan picked me up from LAX after initially going to domestic (good one, My..) and we had a fantastic time catching up in the hour long drive home to good old El Pajodo Place. Dori no longer lives there so the kitties weren't there, which was really sad, I kept looking for them, but eventually we ended up settling on the couch for a session of Days of Our Lives. Some things never change! The garden looks reasonable, considering it no longer has a full time green thumb tending to it - my roses are in bloom and smell heavenly.. I did notice some black spot but that's pretty much guaranteed in California.

After my lovely catch up with Ma'ayan (and our reunion breakfast at Curbside) Donna picked me up and we came home, babbled to each other excitedly about how WEIRD it is that I'm here, and then Andrew proposed taking me to a new local microbrewery, Iron Fist, for cheap mexican food out of a van (sounds terribly dodgy, and I'm sure I raised both my eyebrows initially) and some beers.

The kahlua pig taco was sensational. And for those who aren't sure - no, there's no actual kahlua in the taco. Apparently it is the name of the style or flavour of cooking the pork.

So we had two beers each and then headed home - Donna and I were a bit giggly because man those beers pack a punch at 12%, when you've had two pints! Our games night was due to start at 6pm, so we got ourselves tidied up and had a glass of wine while we waited for our friends to arrive. I had an excellent night, seeing Paulina again was just fantastic after so long. She's still the prettiest, nicest woman I've ever met - her skin is just GLOWING and I think I have finally convinced her to investigate skin modelling. I'm putting my hand up and saying I think she's going to be L'Oreal's next big thing. I'm serious. Her skin is so utterly flawless and white, it is like beautifully fine porcelain.

Games night went much as expected, we got drunk and merry and giggled cuddling on the floor of Donna's living room and poor pregnant Alicia watched us drunken fools with amusement while we snarfed the excellent meat wrapped in meat delight that Berta had brought over. Paulina and I went to bunk together and I decided it was wise to fall out of bed.. at the time it was absolutely hilarious but unfortunately now I have a bruise on my left upper outer thigh roughly the size of a child's fist, and it is aching constantly as a timely reminder that last night will be my last night of drinking until I see Donna again in New Orleans.

Donna and I lounged around in bed most of the day, catching up, reminiscing, talking rubbish, filling each other in on all those little stories that you need to be in person to tell. Andrew watched us guzzling our beroccas with a typical bemused Andrew smile, and other than skipping the catch up I had planned with Ma'ayan (we're doing the True Blood premiere tonight after dinner instead), all was so right with the world. I had a wonderful day just being lazy with one of my best friends, who I get to see so rarely, and I honestly can't think of a more perfect day (well, minus our hangovers would've been nice, BUT! then we would've felt the need to DO SOMETHING) as my second day back in Vista.

I'm missing Shaun like a big sook, but I keep telling myself to GET OVER IT and just enjoy the moment. Tonight we are going to Casa de Bandini - a Mexican (authentic, not Tex Mex) restaurant in Carlsbad. I cannot WAIT to stuff myself utterly to the brim full with amazing Mexican food. I'm so in love with it. Every time Donna asks "what do you feel like eating" the answer is always "Mexican!".

Two days of catching up with old friends, making merry, laughing so much my tummy hurts.. life's pretty good right now.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've arrived safely and that you're enjoying yourself. Tres jealous! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darling, great blog, keep them coming to let us all know how you're doing! Glad you're having a good time xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a typical bemused smile?

    ReplyDelete